Everyone has heard of a facelift, and there is a common misconception that a facelift addresses the entire face, from the jawline to the brow. However, the truth is that a facelift only addresses the lower face. It is amazing for eliminating jowls and achieving a clean, youthful jaw contour, but if you want to lift your sagging cheeks, then a cheek lift will be your best bet.
A cheek lift is a separate procedure from a facelift, and can be performed on its own or in conjunction with another facial surgery such as a facelift, brow lift, or eye lift. Schedule a consultation with Associates in Plastic Surgery today to find out how you can look your best.
Cheek Lift vs. Facelift: Which Do You Need?
You are probably a good candidate for a cheek lift if you have:
- Sagging cheeks
- Eye bags
- Hollows under the eyes caused by dropping cheeks
A cheek lift takes sagging tissues in the cheek area and lifts them back to their natural position, thus creating a more youthful and attractive appearance. The cheeks can be lifted using a variety of different types of cheek lift procedures, all of which are minimally invasive and require minimal recovery time.
On the other hand, you are probably a good candidate for a facelift if you have:
- Significantly sagging skin on the lower face
- "Turkey neck"
A full facelift tightens the deep tissue in the lower face and removes excess skin, creating a beautiful and taut jawline. A facelift addresses both the lower face and the upper neck, and can restore a youthful contour that takes years off the appearance.
If you have sagging cheeks as well as significant jowling, you may be a candidate for a combination of facelift and cheek lift. Having both of these procedures done will give you a more comprehensive result that addresses both the lower and the mid face.
Popular Combination Cheek Lift Procedures
Along with a traditional facelift, a cheek lift can also be performed together with many other facial plastic surgery and even non-surgical procedures. Some of the most popular treatments that men and women elect to have along with a cheek lift include:
- Brow lift or blepharoplasty: Opening up the eye area through a brow lift or eyelid surgery can enhance the results of a cheeklift.
- Fat injections: Fat injections are a wonderful minimally-invasive way to help fill the hollows under the eyes and create a smooth transition from the cheek to the lower eyelid.
- Chemical peel: While a cheeklift will help reposition sagging tissues, it doesn't do anything for the actual quality of your skin. If you'd like smoother, healthier skin to complement your cheeklift, chemical peels can help.
Cheek Lift or Dermal Filler?
In recent years, the number of dermal fillers on the market has increased dramatically, and there are a number of fillers that claim to be able to lift your cheeks and restore the appearance of the mid face. However, it is important to remember that dermal fillers can only do so much. If you have significant drooping of the cheeks, a cheek lift will provide the better result.
You may be a good candidate for dermal fillers if:
- You have very minimal cheek sagging
- Your cheeks are still full and youthful, but you want higher cheekbones
- You have minor nasolabial folds
A cheek lift would probably be better for you if:
- You have significant cheek sagging
- You have moderate to severe nasolabial folds
- You have moderate to large eye bags
Discuss your concerns and goals during your initial consultation and our experienced New Jersey plastic surgeons will help you decide which procedure will help you most.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you are interested in a cheek lift, facelift, or any other facial plastic surgery procedure, don't hesitate to contact Associates in Plastic Surgery today at 732- 548-3200 to schedule your consultation.
We serve patients in Edison, Marlboro, and Warren, New Jersey as well as Staten Island, New York.