Capsular contracture is one of the more common complications to occur after breast augmentation surgery. The condition is caused by the development of an excess of fibrous scar tissue around the implant. The scar tissue can shrink and harden, leaving the implant visible and distorted in shape. In many cases, capsular contracture is very painful to experience.
What is Capsular Contracture Exactly?
Capsular contracture occurs when fibrous scar tissue forms around an implant after an augmentation. When the body perceives that there is a foreign object present, it creates a protective “capsule” around it. Generally, this natural reaction is not harmful and in fact, helps to keep the implant in position. In some cases, however, the scar tissue development is too extensive, becoming hard and compact. The scar tissue capsule tightens around the implant, squeezing it out of place. The affected breast will look distorted in shape and often results in chronic pain and discomfort.
How do I Know if I Have Capsular Contracture?
Some signs of capsular contracture can begin to appear as early as several months after a breast augmentation surgery. An increase in the firmness or tightness of the breast may be the first symptom of capsular contracture, which can worsen over time.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, there are four levels of capsular contracture based on appearance, firmness and pain.
- Grade 1: A complication that can result in the breast appearing to have two parts, due to the implant drifting out of place.
- Grade 2: Also known as “uniboob” this complication occurs when the skin between the breasts has pulled away from the chest wall, creating the look of a single, wide breast. This condition is often the result of an augmentation performed with faulty surgical technique.
- Grade 3: The saline or silicone fluid will be released into the body when an implant is ruptured.
- Grade 4: The tissue around the breast shrinks and hardens causing the implant to look compressed, become hard, appear unnatural or distorted, and feel painful.
In some severe cases of capsular contracture, the implant is squeezed entirely out of place and may even rupture due to compression. If you have Grade 4 capsular contracture, breast revision surgery is necessary.
Why Choose Associates in Plastic Surgery?
At Associates in Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeons have the training and experience to resolve capsular contracture.
- Dr. Haramis and Dr. Heller are board-certified plastic surgeons that specialize in body and breast surgery. They have cumulatively performed thousands of breast surgeries.
- Dr. Haramis and Dr. Heller have a combined experience of over 50 years in the field of plastic surgery.
- We provide our patients with the latest advances in breast revision techniques to fully resolve cases of capsular contracture.
- Our caring, professional staff of registered nurses works to provide a very positive, professional, and safe medical experience from pre-operative care through to recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How Long is the Recovery from Capsular Contracture Treatment?
You should expect the recovery period to last several weeks. You will be given a surgical bra to wear to reduce the swelling and bruising and hold your breasts in place during healing. You will need to rest, sleep on your back, and avoid any strenuous exercise, lifting, or stretching for four to six weeks following your surgery.
How Much Does Capsular Contracture Treatment Cost?
The treatment to resolve a capsular contracture condition will vary in cost. Some patients require the implant and the scar capsule to be removed, and a new implant placed. The cost of treatment is in the range of $3,000 to $13,275. The most important issue to consider is that you have experienced the problem once, and do not want it to reoccur. When under the care of the board-certified plastic surgeons as Associates in Plastic Surgery, you can be confident that your treatment is in the hands of some of the most accomplished surgeons in the region.
"My Beautiful Nose! My nose looks absolutely beautiful and my breathing is much better too. I am thankful for all you have done for me."
"The expertise with which you performed my facelift is amazing. Thank you so much."
"You were so skilled and confident. I am loving my liposuction result."
Brazilian Butt Lift
"What an amazing doctor. From the first consultation, I knew I chose the right doctor for my BBL. I can’t say thank you enough."
"I feel so confident now after having my breasts done. Thank you, Dr. Haramis, for giving me that."
"Just want you to know the eyelids look great. I look at a new face every day."
"Thank you for all the care you provided. I can’t wait to show off my tummy at the beach this summer."