RESEARCH | RELAX | REJOICE
27 Years and 35,000 Hours Of Hands-on Experience in Breast Augmentation
Dr. Harry T. Haramis, MD
- Specialist in facial plastic surgery
- Has performed thousands of patient-tailored facelifts
- Rated one of the Top 50 doctors for cosmetic surgery in New Jersey
- Rated one of the best surgeons in America by the Consumer’s Research Council
- Member, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Member, American Academy of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
- Member, American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Board-certified in facial plastics by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Hospital privileges, John F. Kennedy Medical Center, and Raritan Bay Medical Center
- Graduate with honors, Baylor College of Medicine
- Graduate, Tulane University; Head, neck and facial plastic surgery program
- Author of peer-reviewed studies, journal articles and book chapters on facial plastic surgery
- Lecturer at national conferences on cosmetic surgery
- RealSelf 500 honoree
Dr. Elliot Heller, MD
- American Academy of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery
- Trained in general, and head + neck surgery at NYU Medical Center
- Trained in plastic surgery at New York’s Mt. Sinai Medical Center
- Founding member, New Jersey Cosmetic Surgery Society
- Founding Member, American Academy of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery
- 3 decades of experience in plastic surgery
- Prolific author of peer reviewed literature
- Oft-quoted specialist in magazines and the media
- Drs. Haramis & Heller have performed a combined several thousand breast augmentations
The technical challenge of making a woman's breasts look as good as possible to complement her body is something I look forward to every day.
The Best Times for Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation is an important life choice. Timing is crucial and your selection of a surgeon is at least equally as important.
Let’s be honest. Buoyant breasts are a powerful symbol of youthful vitality. The best and most popular age bracket for breast augmentation is also the most critical and convenient: Gravity has kicked in and self and sexual confidence are waning. A boost is in order. The highest percent (37%) of women undergoing breast augmentation nationally are between the ages of 30 - 39. Next most common are the two equally-popular phases of life between ages 20 and 29, and 40 and 54 (each making up 29% of patients nationally according to the preeminent statistical on cosmetic surgery statistics.) Beyond that, just 2% of breast augmentations patients are 55 and above. At ages under 30, breast augmentation is also not often needed. In fact, only 2% of breast aug patients nationally are in their youth at under 29-years-old.
At a Glance | Breast Augmentation Patient Age
Ages 30 - 39
37% of patients nationally, U.S
Ages 40 - 54
Ages 20 - 29
Age 19 and Under
Age 55 and Over
Popular Life Phases for Breast Augmentation
- Preparing for a new career
- Reentering the dating scene or anticipating a second marriage
- After bearing children
The Cost of Breast Augmentation in New Jersey
Silicone breast implants are the most common patient choice and they typically range from $6,500 to $7,500. Saline breast implants are the least costly option and the least frequently chosen by patients. If a breast lift is also required, that cost will increase.
Perfection is pricey but affordable. Breast augmentation isn’t inexpensive. Nationally, the average “surgeon’s fee” for the procedure is $3,947. To this base fee are added the costs of anesthesia, hospital or operating room facility fees, and other related expenses. You can typically expect to pay from 6 to 10 thousand dollars for breast augmentation in New Jersey, not just at Associates, but at most other centers throughout New Jersey. The surgical procedure is intensive and thus costly, yet we’d strongly caution against deciding based on price alone, and urge you to seek only a board-certified cosmetic surgeon. Discounts that sound too good to be true are. We offer a 100% free consultation where you’ll receive a detailed rundown of costs for your procedure, and to ease the financial burden we accept the 4 most popular financing options.
What You Need to KNow ABout Breast Augmentation
Augment: The action or process of making greater in size. Breast augmentation is an elective surgical procedure for enhancing the size, profile and contour of the breasts. An FDA approved implant composed of either saline or silicon is placed beneath the breast tissue, the chest muscles, or a combination of both (“dual plane”). The art of breast augmentation lies in carefully selecting the size and style of implant best suited to you: your body type and your beauty goals. The science of it lies in safely making your dreams a stunning reality.
Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery in America. Chances are, you’re looking to undergo the procedure yourself. Drs. Hamaris and Heller will invest the time and care into ensuring your comfort, safety and total understanding of the procedure ahead of you. As board-certified surgeons who specialize in breast augmentation and have a combined 50-plus years of experience, you’ll be in caring hands, from private consultation to pre-op and from post-op to full recovery.
The Associates Difference
5 key distinctions patients count on in choosing Associates: Expertise, Experience, Artistry, Accredited Surgical Centers & Privileges at all Area Hospitals, Multi-location Convenience.
At Associates, continuing education is second-nature and our surgeons remain abreast of industry developments, constantly pushing the envelope of possibility to do even better. Dr. Haramis and Dr. Heller have achieved some of the highest levels of certification and board membership possible. As board-certified surgeons and Fellows of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), they’ve trained among the best to become the best.
Elective cosmetic surgery is both an art and a science. The best breast augmentations require a keen eye and an understanding of proportions and integration. Breast augmentation can be done a million ways. But only a fraction of those ways are truly perfect for you. You’ll likely want to look stunningly beautiful, but naturally so. And that’s why the goal of our surgeons is always to draw out and complement your inherent natural beauty.
Multi-location Convenience to Serve Our Community
To help us serve you closer to home, our surgical facilities are spread out across four of New Jersey’s counties—in Edison, Marlboro, Warren and West Orange. With well-established ties to the community, it’s our honor and privilege to call so many locals our patients.
Our breast augmentation surgeons, Dr. Haramis and Dr. Heller have performed a combined several thousand successful breast augmentations. Yes, your procedure is unquestionably unique and carefully curated to your own beauty and body goals, yet our patients are calm and confident knowing their special day has been preceded by thousands just like it for satisfied patients all across the state.
Accredited Surgical Centers & Area Hospital Privileges
Patient safety is our priority. Each of our surgical facilities meet the same strict protocol required of hospitals. Cutting-edge computerized imaging software helps us help you envision your end result right from the start. State-licensed, Medicare-certified, and passed by the nation’s accreditation authority on safety, cleanliness and quality, our surgical facilities are ideal. And our surgeons have privileges in all area hospitals.
Personal, Private Consultation
You’ve thought long and hard about breast implants. You’ve perused our site and gallery and are intrigued by the possibilities of what breast augmentation can do for you. What’s next? Contact us by phone or online form for a no-obligation private consultation.
The goal of a breast augmentation consultation here at Associates will be to educate you as a patient about breast implants and the operation, carefully answer any of your questions about the procedure, including everything from preparation to postoperative recovery, and then to select the size and type of implants that will best complement your body.
What To Look For In Your Consultation
Whether you choose Associates—and we’d love to have you—or another surgical center entirely, here’s what to look for and take mental or even written note of in a breast augmentation consultation:
Instinct, Gut Feeling, Calmness and Comfort
When you enter the facility, speak to our staff and your surgeon, how do you feel? Are you at ease and relaxed? Do you feel comfortable and understood? Do you feel under any pressure to have the procedure or have it sooner than you’d like to? Yes, the decision is a big one and you may feel uncertainty or anxiety in general, but your visit to our center (or another’s) should leave you feeling understood, cared for, calmer, and more certain that you either do or do not want a breast augmentation.
Before & After Breast Augmentation Gallery
Study this closely. We’ll have a portfolio on file you’re free to look at. They’re all 100% unedited photographs. No, they don’t—and shouldn’t—look like Photoshopped glam models in studio lighting. What you’re looking for here is: Do you like the look of the finished procedure? Are scars overly obvious? Do things look natural? Do all patients look unique, or does it seem the surgeon has a “cookie-cutter” approach to all patients? Do you like the look of this surgeon’s work? Can you picture what the procedure might do for you and do you like it?
Here’s What Other Industry Experts Recommend You Ask Us
- “Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?”
- “Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?”
- “How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?”
- “Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?”
- “Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally- or state-recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?”
- “Am I a good candidate for breast enhancement or breast enlargement?”
- “What will be expected of me to get the best results?”
- “Where and how will you perform my breast augmentation surgery?”
- “What shape, size, surface texturing, incision site and placement site are recommended for me?”
Your Breast Implant Options
You’ll have a wide variety of breast implant options to choose from to achieve the look and feel you’re after. Some of the more important choices you and your surgeon will cover include:
Breast Implant Types
- Saline Breast Implants are used in 15% of breast augmentations. Filled with medical-grade sterile salt water, saline implants are well-known for their superior safety. They maintain a nicely uniform shape and firmness.
- Structured Saline Breast Implants have an internal structure that makes them feel more natural to the touch.
- Silicone Breast Implants contain a gel that feels most similar to natural breast tissue. Silicone implants are used in 85% of breast augmentations.
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants, often called teardrop implants, are silicone gel implants that better retain their shape even if the outer shell gives way. These are broader at the base and taper in at the top or height of the implant.
Contours and Textures
- Round Breast Implants have the same dimensions all around and so don’t create unusual projections in the unlikely event they were to rotate. They’ll also leave your breasts appearing larger and fuller than teardrop implants would.
- Smooth Breast Implants have an outer shell with no fine grooves or texture of any kind. They’ll give dynamic motion similar to actual breasts.
- Textured Breast Implants have a surface that is roughed up ever so slightly to help them stay better in place. They move around less and reduce the risk of tight scar tissue formation inside the breasts. On the downside, textured implants are associated with a very rare form of cancer called anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).
(in the fold of the breast) is the most common and involves placing an incision in the crease under the breast. This allows excellent surgical access and leaves you with scars that are virtually imperceptible as they're hidden by the breast itself.
(around the nipple) is another common choice and involves an incision near the lower half of the areola, which placement tends to hide the scar.
is a safe and less invasive incision type done in the naval area, at the top rim of the belly button. The empty shell of a saline implant would be inserted while empty and filled once in its final position.
is an incision placed in the armpit area leaving no scar on the breasts themselves.
Two factors determine the incision type used: the first being a patient’s preference, and the second being the surgeon’s best recommended incision for the size and type of implants you choose. The latter incision types for instance aren’t an option for some implants. Inframammary and Periareaolar, are by far the most common choices and work well for most patients, nevertheless, your surgeon can help you select what is best for you personally.
Post Op & Recovery
Your breast augmentation procedure will be performed in our accredited surgical center, under IV sedation or general anesthesia. On the day of your surgery, you will be discharged with a bandage and wraps in place. Some soreness, swelling, and bruising should be expected and pain medication will be prescribed. This makes recovery virtually painless, though you will feel a deep soreness—as the chest muscle is being stretched, there is some discomfort which usually subsides over the first two weeks.
For two weeks after the procedure, don’t lift up anything heavier than about 25 pounds. Within a few days, as tolerable, you can return to a non strenuous job, while heavy exercise can usually resume after about one month.
You will also be given a complete list of tips for recovery and what to expect and will have a direct line to us throughout your recovery. Tens of thousands of patients make it through this recovery process annually, but we want you to feel as comfortable and confident throughout it as possible.
Your new breasts will often appear too high to begin with, but will fall nicely into position in subsequent weeks. You can typically return to work in 10 days, with no strenuous activity for 2-3 weeks.
Answering from Experience
Dr. Haramis, MD, FACS: “Liposuction to the lateral chest area can help define the implants even better, and a breast lift will help return the breasts to a more youthful position as the implants are added. ”
Dr. Haramis, MD, FACS: All breasts differ slightly right to left, before or even after any surgery, some more so than others, and most often imperceptibly. The best way to improve symmetry is with a breast lift and a minor size reduction of the larger breast to better match the smaller breast, and getting breast implants for upper fullness and size. (Implants alone will improve symmetry in a bra only, while without a lift, the nipples will remain at slightly different levels, with the longer side remaining lower.)
Dr. Haramis, MD, FACS: Yes, there are options that do not include using implants. Symmetry can be greatly improved by lifting or reshaping the longer side to better match the higher breast. A fat transfer can also be done to improve fullness and volume to both sides.
Dr. Haramis, MD, FACS: In my experience, implants are best suited for breast augmentation, particularly with large breast augmentations, versus a fat transfer to the breasts which may be 50-60% lasting.
Dr. Haramis, MD, FACS: Breast implants alone can improve fullness and correct mild ptosis, especially a dual plane or totally above the muscle placement. The breasts will still appear low and natural looking, which many patients are happy with. If not and you want higher, perkier breasts, a lift should be added.
Women who are dissatisfied with the size of their breasts or who wish to enhance their curves can benefit from breast augmentation. Patients seeking breast augmentation should:
- Be in good health
- Have fully-matured breasts
- Not be currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of breast augmentation
Breast augmentations last many, many years. You should have your breast implants monitored by your physician yearly to watch for changes both in your body and the implant. Natural changes in your body as it ages, your own personal preference, or aging implants may have you later opting for a revision surgery. Many patients later opt for a larger implant size.
Your ability to breastfeed after breast augmentation is determined by the placement of your implants. Women who choose to have their implants placed under the muscle tissue have a greater possibility of being able to breastfeed following their augmentation procedure.
At Associates in Plastic Surgery, we are dedicated to your physical and emotional well-being. From the moment you enter our New Jersey offices, you will be greeted warmly and welcomed into our practice. Our surgeons produce lovely results and have vast experience in breast augmentation, performing each procedure with skill and artistry.
For a free consultation at our nearest New Jersey office, please call (732) 548-3200. Our breast augmentation experts will be happy to discuss everything with you in person in a private consultation or answer your questions over the phone. We are also offering virtual consultations for the safety, comfort and convenience of patients at this time.
"My Beautiful Nose! My nose looks absolutely beautiful and my breathing is much better too. I am thankful for all you have done for me."
"The expertise with which you performed my facelift is amazing. Thank you so much."
"You were so skilled and confident. I am loving my liposuction result."
"What an amazing doctor. From the first consultation, I knew I chose the right doctor for my BBL. I can’t say thank you enough."
"I feel so confident now after having my breasts done. Thank you, Dr. Haramis, for giving me that."
"Just want you to know the eyelids look great. I look at a new face every day."
"Thank you for all the care you provided. I can’t wait to show off my tummy at the beach this summer."